Monday, July 2, 2018

So Big. Texas Big.

  

Texas is big.  This is what is known as an understatement by we folks who consider ourselves writers.

Patrick and I both had work in Houston, so it felt like a slightly normal week except for when we ran out of laundry and Patrick said, “No problem honey – give it to me and I’ll have the hotel do it.”
They did it.  The Texas way…BIG. 




But in their defense, all my unmentionables were lovingly packed and folded in tissue paper and Patrick’s wadded up pocket contents were carefully preserved in a securely fastened bag.


 

  




We finally hit the road on our way to San Antonio, but lunch at the roadside Mustang Creek BBQ proved to be authentic and delicious. And BIG. No way I could finish all of it.







The San Antonio Riverwalk was gorgeous and surprisingly tropical with all the plantings and trees.  Dinner at Bella on the River was amazing as we sat outside right on the Riverwalk where passersby enjoyed looking at our dinner (salmon for me, paella for Patrick) and I’m pleased to announce that we are probably semi-famous now.  Bella on the River is located in an historic stone building and there is a darling tree growing right out of the wall dressed in twinkle lights.  We happened to be seated directly beneath the tree and as the gondola tours floated by in the river, every tour guide turned their passengers' attention to the tree.  Patrick and I went with it and began to add a little Vanna White arm flourish to point out the tree in conjunction with the tour guide.  Many pictures were snapped of us hamming it up.  We expect to be approached by agents anytime now. Our career is gonna be BIG, cause you know…Texas.  After dinner, some leisurely sauntering and ice cream - flavor of the day was Goat Cheese/Fig and it was pretty good.

We whipped through the Alamo the next morning; I may have forgotten most of my history but the exhibits of their weapons and uniforms were sobering; the guns were huge and long and I can’t imagine how they carried or even used them.  The uniforms were wool and heavy and wearing them in the Texas heat no doubt created a fragrant sweat soup for the soldiers, but it was a beautifully haunting place that I’m glad we put on our list.




Next stop was the Big Bend National Park that borders the Mexican border along the Rio Grande River. It was very….wait for it…BIG. We drove the loop inside the park and we logged about 200 miles. 


The Santa Elena Canyon is a beautiful gorge with Mexico on the left and the US on the right. In the middle is Patrick and Tanya looking cute as all get out.

We saw amazing cacti, gorgeous mountains, elk (or maybe deer) feeding in the valley. (I'm wildlife challenged but if you zoom in really close you can correctly identify them and then make fun of me for not knowing.)


 

And someone (not naming names) reached 130 mph (220 kph) on the wide open roads and verified that the 6-speed Mini Cooper is amazingly fast, stable, and handles nicely, thank you very much. 












We stopped at the White Buffalo for a cold drink and surprise…they had a White Buffalo. It was BIG.










Of course, on the way home we had to stop at Target. It was NOT SO BIG. But hilarious.

And we're having so much fun. BIG FUN. Because, ya know....Texas.


1 comment:

  1. Was that bill for you laundry AND your stay?

    Love fig, not a fan of goat cheese.

    One day I wanna try cacti, I understand that those red/pink bulbs are eatable. True or false?

    That Target has got to have a story behind it!!!

    "For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, bu to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move" -Robert Louis Stevenson

    XO,
    Jackie Lee

    ReplyDelete