Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Lessons Learned - Week One


 

We hit the road last Thursday and our first stop was Atlanta to see Tanya’s daughter graduate from the Police Academy. Twelve weeks of grueling PT, being tasered, pepper sprayed, shot at (with simulation rounds), and beaten up finally culminated in her graduation ceremony and being sworn in as a police officer. Proud mom moment.


The weekend was filled with fun and laughter and good food and family and sunshine and thunderstorms and shopping and more food.  It was exactly what a celebratory weekend should be.

Patrick and I both have work in Houston this week, so I flew in while he drove Le Bus (and this is how it will be referred to henceforth). At the end of this week we’ll finally be “officially” on our way, but lest you think we’re wasting precious time, think again. We are learning plenty of lessons as we go, and because we’re selfless like that, we’re happy to share them with you:

Lessons Learned On the Road:

Hampton’s foam pillows are better than Marriott’s feather pillows. I’m picky about my pillows and it had to be said.

A Krispy Kreme donut hot off the line is worth ruining your diet (and selling your soul) for; to quote Patrick, it was “a party in my mouth.” In fact, it was so good I went back to the counter and tried to purchase another one. The cashier gave it to me and wouldn’t take my money; I’m torn between suspecting she recognized a woman in the throes of a sugar fix or thinking she was just embarrassed for me because of the drooling. But guess what? No regrets.


             
A Moment of Silence Please...When the car you’re towing is covered in red stuff…it’s NOT ketchup as I innocently thought. The good news? We didn’t kill whatever it was. The bad news…we couldn’t avoid driving over it afterwards. Ick. Sorry.

See your sister whenever you can. We shopped, we laughed, we talked, I gave her a cool ring, and she took one of my kids home with her – it was a great trade.

Patrick took this picture of us while experimenting with camera filters and she said it perfectly captures our entire relationship; she earnestly paying attention and me telling her what to do in her ear. (This is a lie but I will let it go since I am the older wiser sister…)

 

Texas Barbeque ain’t your momma’s barbeque.  Not sure if I’m a fan, but I did like the t-shirts. Feel free to edumacate me.

Notice the tiny stuff. Patrick was entranced with this coffee cup lid – a tiny heart that snapped into place when open.  (Have I mentioned how wonderful it is to be crazy about a romantic Frenchman?)


See old friends whenever you can. We had lunch with our friends Karen and Mark but completely forgot to take pictures. This is not surprising because this woman and I went back to school together (at the advanced age of “noneofyourbusiness”) and logged 37,000 miles walking and talking through Towne Lake while we solved marriage, family, children, and world problems. We were BUSY, ya’ll… and nothing has changed. We talked non-stop through lunch and then ran off without capturing the moment. So here is a picture of them looking the way we all once felt inside…young, happy, and completely unaware that our children would someday fall on the floor laughing at our wardrobe choices.  

I’ll bet you have a picture like that…if you’re brave enough, share it.  If not, just look at it and laugh a little and find that happy again.

L  

3 comments:

  1. glad your learning stuff!! The Road is a great school!! Just don't stand in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK sooooo I already typed and thought I posted this message once I hit "publish" under this box, so have no idea where my comment has been published to. Let me try again.

    I was shocked to read that Maddy, the girly girl I knew years ago, is now a cop and had to go through all that she did to achieve her new job. #congratsmaddy!

    It made me laugh out loud to read about the pillows, for some reason I remember you telling me this about yourself.

    we were on vacation in NC with another family and were going to eat dinner at Cracker Barrel. Across the street we spied a Krispy Kreme "HOT" donut sign, well that was our appetizers before dinner. I've always said if I lost every tooth in my head I could always eat HOT KK donuts, as, you really don't need teeth to eat them.

    I have to admit upon seeing the crime scene on your car I said, "eeewwww" I was hoping it WAS ketchup

    I also did not know what edumacate meant so I looked it up, BTW the dictionary doesn't know either. HAHAHAHA

    And OMGosh I've looked at your pictures a dozen times in this post and JUST realized who the couple is - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

    Safe travels,
    xo
    Jackie Lee

    *"Adventure is worthwhile"
    -Aesop-

    ReplyDelete